Clonrose Developments have purchased the former St Clare’s Convent and Primary School in Newry, Northern Ireland.
The site which extends to 8.25 acres is in close proximity to Newry City Centre and once housed the accommodation for the Nuns of the Order of Saint Clare, known as ‘The Poor Clares’. A listed chapel forms part of the site along with two burial grounds and the former St Clare’s Primary School. Having moved to a new convent and primary school within the City of Newry, the site has lain vacant since 2011.
Conrose Developments are currently working up a planning application for submission in early 2020 to sympathetically restore the listed building and provide a mixed-use scheme on the remainder of the site.
Did you know?
- The Order of Saint Clare established a convent on the site in High Street in 1829. Prior to the establishment of the convent, the site formerly housed a theatre which opened in 1769 and a public house known as ‘The Popes Head Inn’